To lay down the Operating and Calibration procedure for Total Organic Carbon Analyzer
This procedure is applicable to Total Organic Carbon Analyzer used in Quality Control Department .
Make/Model : SHIMADZU /TOC-VCPH
|Officer / Executive– For the adherence to the SOP.|
|Head QC – Implementation of the SOP|
Master copy : Quality Assurance Department
Controlled copy – 1 : Quality Control Department
Definition: Total Organic carbon is the amount of carbon found in an organic compound and is often used as a non-specific indicator of water quality.
5.1 Operation Procedure:
- Before using the instrument ensure that it is clean and free from dust.
- Switch on the instrument by pressing the start button provided on the front side of the instrument.
- Switch on the computer. System connected to the instrument.
- Double click “TOC Control V” icon
- Click on “Sample Table Editor” log in ID and Password window will open. Enter log in Credentials and click OK.
- Select new from file menu.
- Click sample table and click OK.
- From the instrument menu select “Connect”.
- Instrument will start initialization, wait for the window to minimize.
- Pressure gauge will show 200 kpa and Flow rate on meter will show 150 ml/min.
- Wait for about 15 to 20 minutes for the instrument to be ready in condition.
- Click on “Monitor” tab (Background monitoring) to check parameters as given below
Furnace temperature 680ºC
Dehumidifier -0.5 to 5
When all the above condition show green start the analysis.
5.2 Sample Measurement:
- Give a file name for the sample table and save it.
- Go to insert menu and select sample.
- Select calibration curve button and click browse.
- Select a recent calibration curve from the list
- Click ‘Next’.
- Select analysis as “NPOC” , give sample – ID and click next.
- Click ‘Next’
- Check all the parameters as given below:
Units – ppb
Injection volume – 816µl
No. of Injection – min 1 and max. 1
SD – 0.5
No. of washes – 2
Auto dilution – 1
Spurge Time – 30 seconds
Acid add – 0.5
Then Click ‘Next’.
Page 5 click ‘Finish’
- Select start to analyze the sample.
- To see the peaks and concentration, select sample window from the menu or from the tool bar.
After completion of analysis Sample window will display repeat, ‘Next’ and ‘Stop’.
Select ‘Next’ for next sample, repeat for repeat sample and ‘Stop’.
After completion of operation make entries in the instrument usage logbook.
Annexure -1: TOC Calibration Report
NPOC : Non Purgeable Organic Carbon
TOC : Total Organic Carbon