To lay down a procedure for operation and Calibration of vacuum oven. It is used for determination for loss on drying.
This SOP is applicable for operation of vacuum oven (Make: LABCO) in Quality Control.
QC Chemist / Officer : Follow the procedure and maintain record as applicable.
Head Quality Control : System Compliance
- Ensure that vacuum oven is clean.
- Check the calibration due date.
- Ensure that vacuum pump is attached properly.
- Open the door, place the sample and close the door tightly.
- Switch ON the mains.
- Switch ON the oven by pressing the green main indicator switch downwards.
- Set the temperature on the temperature gauge by pressing Ú or Ù and then press enter key.
- On the vacuum pump, open the valve and let it attain the required vacuum in mm Hg.
- After attaining the required vacuum close the valve and off the vacuum pump.
- Start the heater by pressing red load indicator switch downwards.
- Control the speed of heating by rotating the regulator knob at desired rate.
- After completion of work press the red load indicator switch to upward to off the heater.
- Then release the vacuum by opening the valve.
- Finally press the green main indicator switch to upward to off the oven.
- Open the door, remove the sample and close the door.
- Enter the details in Instrument log.
- In case any problem exists inform to Engineering Department.
- Sample placed time in vacuum oven and withdrawn time from vacuum oven and actual temperature shall be recorded on test data sheet.
- Operate the equipment.
- Set the vacuum at pressure 760mm/30inch.
- Set the temperature of oven at 60ºC.
- Insert the calibrated thermometer (110 ºC) from the side hole.
- Leave the instrument till the desired temperature is obtained.
- Record the reading of thermometer on annexure I.
- Similarly raise the temperature to 100 & 105ºC and record the observation on annexure I.
- Acceptance Criteria: All the observed reading should be within limit of ±1°C.
- Prepare the calibration tag and affix it with equipment.
- Attach the old calibration tag with the record and do not throw it.
- Frequency: 6 months ± 3 days.
- If the variation is not within the specified tolerance limits:
- Label the equipment with a tag, “OUT OF CALIBRATION”.
- Inform the Department Head.
- Do not use equipment until all errors are rectified. After rectification, again calibrate the equipment & record the observation.
- Note: Vacuum Gauge & Temperature Controller is calibrated by external Agency at-least once in a six month.
- Annexure (S)
- Reference (S)
SOP : Standard Operating Procedure
QA : Quality Assurance
QC : Quality Control
ºC : Degree Celsius
mm : Millimeter
- Revision History
|Rev. No.||Details of changes||Reason for change|