To lay down the procedure for working under fume hood.
This SOP is applicable in Quality Control during working under fumigation hood. It is used for handling and usage of inflammable solvents, acids and highly volatile solvents.
- Rinse all the glass ware immediately after use with water and send for washing.
- Clean the sink with water.
- Clean the platform with water.
- Mop the hood with clean cloth.
- Preliminary Checks
- Check the hood for proper functioning and switches for their functioning.
- Check the blower for proper functioning.
- Availability of safety dress .i.e. Acid resistant apron, chemical mask, rubber hand gloves and goggles / safety face mask.
- Availability of all reagents / documents / protocols for performing the test.
- Availability of fire safety i.e. sand bucket and fire extinguisher.
- Enter in the hot zone.
- Adjust the sash height as required
- Wear the safety dress i.e. Acid resistant apron, rubber
hand gloves and goggles. If required use chemical mask / safety face mask.
- Switch on the tube light marked as tube light.
- Push the green button of the starter, placed at the wall left to hood, to ON the blower.
- Use heating mantle to heat the solution. Do not use hot plate.
- Work as per approved protocols.
- Drain the waste solvents in the sink. Do not drain the acids while hot.
- Rinse all the glass ware with water and send for cleaning.
- Clean the sink and plat form.
- After completion of work, switch off the light and electrical heating if any.
- Switch OFF the blower, by pushing the red button of starter.
- Lower the slash completely after completion of work.
- Do not send the glass wares as such for washing.
- Do not switch off the blower while the sash is close.
- If the acid spoiled, first neutralize with base and then wash with water current.
- In case of solvent, spread the sand on the solvent. Clean and send to the ETP.
- In case of any incident immediately take first aid and inform to HOD QC.
- Annexure (S)
- Reference (S)
|SOP||:||Standard Operating Procedure|
|HOD||:||Head of Department|
- Revision History
|Rev. No.||Details of changes||Reason for change|