To lay down a procedure for Operation & Calibration of polarimeter.
This procedure is applicable for procedure for Operation & Calibration of polarimeter.
QC Officer/ QC Executive
- Ensure that instrument is clean and free from dust.
- Switch on the mains.
- Sodium lamp will glow; wait for 15 – 20 minutes till lamp glow fully to bright yellow.
- Maintain the temperature of solution at 25°C for taking reading on Polarimeter.
- Fill the tube 2-dm with solvent as a blank and note down the reading.
- Drain out the blank solvent from tube and rinse the tube with sample solution.
- Fill the tube with sample solution and note down the reading.
- Take five reading of sample solution by readjusting to minimize the error.
- Reading obtain on positive scale is known as Dextro rotary and reading on negative scale is known as Laevo rotary.
- Record the details in the instrument log book.
- Calculation: (On dried / anhydrous basis)
- Operating Procedure
Specific optical rotation for solid :
SOR = __ Reading X 100
Length of tube X Concentration (% w/v )
Specific optical rotation for liquid:
SOR = _______Reading_____________
Length of tube X Sp. Gravity of liquid
- Calibration:Operate the instrument as mention in the above procedure.Prepare the solution of sucrose previously dried having concentration 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% in distilled water.Take reading of the solution at 25 °C, in 2 dm tube; take 5 reading by readjusting, to minimize the error. Take average reading of individual for calculation.
|Concentration of solution||Angle of rotation|
- Tolerance + 0.02°Frequency – once in month Record the calibration result.
Trainer : Manager – Quality Control
Trainees: Staff of the QC departments
Master Copy : QA Department
Controlled Copy : QC Department
Display Copy : QC Department